Welcome to the website of the Lord-Lieutenant of Tyne & Wear.
The Lord-Lieutenant of Tyne & Wear, Mrs Susan Winfield, OBE
The Lord-Lieutenant of Tyne & Wear is Mrs Susan Winfield, OBE. She was appointed to this role on Monday 12th January 2015 by HM The Queen.
The Lord-Lieutenant is Her Majesty’s representative in Tyne and Wear with the overall duty to uphold the dignity of the Crown. The Lord-Lieutenant carries out a wide variety of duties, working closely with voluntary services, benevolent organisations and local businesses. The main duties of the Lord-Lieutenant are:
- Arrange visits by members of the Royal family and to escort Royal visitors
- Represent The Queen, including duties with the armed forces and presenting certain honours, medals and awards.
- Liaise with local units of the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army, Royal Air Force and their associated Cadet Forces
- Assess nominations for honour, both personal and for The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service and to encourage nominations for both
- Chairing the local Advisory Committee on Justices of the Peace, in liaison with the Ministry of Justice
- Swearing in of new magistrates