Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page |2 - News |3 - Site Map |4 - Search |5 - A to Z |6 - Help |7 - Complaints Procedure |8 - Information Rights |9 - Council Contacts |0 - Access key details |

This site uses cookies - find out more|


Marriages and civil partnerships


Welcome to Gateshead's marriage and civil partnership information.

Whether you are planning a small, intimate ceremony or a grand occasion, your special day is very important.  

As well as our ceremony rooms in Gateshead Civic Centre, we have a number of approved premises for Weddings and Civil Ceremonies to suit all tastes from imposing venues such as The Sage Gateshead to small and friendly semi-rural settings. 

Find out more about Civil Partnerships|

View our wedding brochure|


A civil marriage ceremony can vary from a simple and dignified ceremony in the  Register Office in the presence of two witnesses, or a larger audience to a lavish ceremony in a venue such as a hotel that is approved for the holding of marriage ceremonies.

There will be two registrars at your ceremony; one to conduct the ceremony and the other to register your marriage. You must bring two witnesses with you to the ceremony.

If either partner is unable to speak or understand English, an interpreter must be present at the wedding. This must be discussed before the wedding with the registrar.

If you wish to be married in a church you must discuss this with the Minister. If the church is Church of England, Banns will have to be called in the church. This will be done by the Vicar. If you wish to marry in any other religious venue, notice of marriage will need to be given to the Superintendent Registrar in the area in which you live. Contact your local registrar for more information about this.

The marriage act covers equal marriage, this allows two people of the same sex to marry. Giving them the same rights as an opposite sex couple.

Legal requirements

The couple both need to give notice of marriage together in the place in which they live. There is a statutory fee for these notices, see our fees and charges for more information. You should both attend together unless there are special circumstances. If you and your partner live in different registration districts, you will need to attend to give notice in your own area. Your partner does not need to go with you to do this. There is a legal requirement to have lived in the district for a minimum of eight clear days prior to giving notice. Your notice will be displayed in the register office for 15 clear days before the authority to marry will be issued. If you live in Gateshead, please book an appointment using the contact details below.  

Documents needed

When you attend your local Register Office to give notice you will be asked to bring the following documents:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • If you were born after 1st January 1983 nationality is dependent upon the nationality of your parents, you will need to produce either a UK passport or a naturalisation/registration certificate from the Home Office and a standard birth certificate, if you do not hold a current passport we will need to see your mother's standard birth certificate or UK passport in addition to your own standard birth certificate.
  • Decree absolute (if Divorced)
  • Death Certificate (if widowed - the marriage certificate may also be requested)
  • Two proofs per person of residential address
  • If you have changed your name by Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration you will need to bring the document with you
  • If you were divorced in a foreign country you will be asked to provide the original divorce document and you may be asked to provide a translation
  • Please note photocopies of documents are not accepted 


Contact Us

Gateshead Register Office
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street
Tel: 0191 433 3000
How to get to the Civic Centre| (272k PDF)

Powered by Contensis|