Safer Gateshead takes a strategic approach to ensure the delivery of the drug and alcohol strategy at a local level.
Safer Gateshead’s role is to ensure that the work of local agencies is brought together effectively and that cross-agency projects are co-ordinated successfully in line with current strategies and emerging guidance from the government looking at the following key issues:
To prevent today's young people from becoming tomorrow's problematic drug and alcohol users
- To reduce the supply of illegal drugs
- To reduce drug-related crime and its impact on communities
- To reduce drug related deaths
- To increase the number of individuals accessing effective drug treatment
- Involvement in the commissioning of services at a local level, including supporting structures;
- Monitoring and reporting on performance;
- Communicating plans, activities and performance to stakeholders;
- Translating national policy into local actions.