1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Marriage of Non-British Citizens


If you are planning to get married and you are subject to immigration control while in the UK, you will need to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership and follow these rules:

  • If you are coming to the UK from overseas to get married, you must have either a fiancé or fiancée or marriage visitor visa in your passport in order to give notice to marry to a registrar.
  • If you are already in the UK, you will need to either have settled status in the UK, or apply to the Home Office for a certificate of approval before giving notice to marry to a registrar.

The Home Office UK Border Agency provides details of the documents you need if you are subject to immigration control.

You are not subject to immigration control, and these rules do not apply, if you have the right of abode in the UK, or are one of the following:


  • a British citizen
  • an EEA national
  • a member of visiting forces from NATO and Commonwealth countries
  • a diplomat that is not subject to immigration control
  • If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you need to give notice of a marriage or civil partnership.


If you want to come to the UK to marry or register a civil partnership, you will need to get the correct entry clearance. You will need this before you travel to the UK. 

Giving notice

You cannot give notice to marry at Gateshead Register Office as we are not a designated office. The nearest designated register offices are:

Contact us

Gateshead Register Office
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Tel: 0191 433 3000

Email: registeroffice@gateshead.gov.uk

How to get to the Civic Centre (272k PDF)