1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Dropped kerbs


The Council wishes to encourage residents, wherever possible, to garage or park their vehicles off the road through the provision of dropped kerbs  (also known as vehicle crossings) to achieve the following benefits:

  • Improved road safety;
  • Reduced damage to paving and therefore improved safety for pedestrians;
  • Less damage to grass verges on housing estates;
  • Improved security of vehicles.

Residents have a common law right to access to any road next to their property. Where such access involves frequent crossing of a footpath, Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980 allows the Highway Authority to insist on a properly constructed crossing.

In order to ensure that vehicle crossings are properly constructed, all domestic vehicle crossings will be built by Local Environmental Services Construction Services (Public Buildings and Highways) Highways Services Section who are part of the Council. They will deal with the provision of estimates and receive payments.

Legal considerations

Planning permission is not usually required for such work, but will be if:

  • the property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road;
  • the property involved is a listed building;
  • the property involved is other than a house for a single family, e.g. Flat, Maisonette, Commercial or Industrial Premises.

If it appears that your property comes within one of the above classifications and planning permission is required you should contact the Council using the details above.

Important notice

For insurance liability purposes, the Council reserves the right to carry out all such works within the highway. Residents are charged the total cost of providing the crossings, including any cost associated with the relocation or removal of trees, lighting columns etc.

The construction of a vehicle crossing by does not give the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to his/her property with a private or light goods motor car, the crossing itself is part of the public highway. From the date that the council accepts the completed crossing, they will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by illegal use by heavy vehicle, etc.

If you decide to go ahead with the construction you must remove the fence, wall or hedge within the property at the place where the crossing will be located before construction can take place.

Contact Us

Construction Services
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street
NE8 1HH 

Phone: 0191 433 7000
Fax: 0191 433 7554
Email: customerservices@gateshead.gov.uk