1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Event Road Closures FAQs and Checklist


Do we need insurance cover?Back To Top

The Council does not ask for public liability insurance (PLI) cover for a small residential street party. But as the event organiser you have a responsibility for the conduct and safety of the participants of the event. Although the Council would recommend you take out Public Liability Insurance, for your own peace of mind, this is not essential. Further advice can be found on the Streets Alive web site at (www.streetparty.org.uk). PLI insurance costs can range from £50.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?Back To Top

Most local authorities do not ask for a risk assessment for small street parties, but you may wish to think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back up plan. For example - what would you do if there was bad weather? You should consider using plastic plates and cups rather than glass and make sure the road closures points are properly monitored.

We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need a licence?Back To Top

At a private party where there is no charge to people attending, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require any form of licence. For small scale, short duration events (less than 500 people, no longer than 96 hours) authorisation in the form of a Temporary Event Notice is required if alcohol is sold at your event.. You must give a Temporary Event Notice to the Council AT LEAST 10 WORKING DAYS PRIOR TO THE PLANNED EVENT. There is a fee of £21 for a Temporary Event Notice.

If you intend to sell alcohol at an event for more than 499 people then you will require a Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003. 

Further details can be obtained from the Licensing Section webpages or by calling 0191 4334741 or emailing licensing@gateshead.gov.uk

We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?Back To Top

If  your event is a private party for residents, the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and there is no cost to the people who attend then you do not need to obtain a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded. However if you are providing music to a wider audience, or at a cost then the same authorisation is required as in the case of the sale of alcohol, above.   A Temporary Event Notice would be required where the event is for less than 500 people and a Premises Licence required where it is for larger numbers. 

Do we need a permit to serve food?Back To Top

For a private party, you do not need authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you want to sell hot food and drink after 11pm).  If you are making food at home for a one-off event such as a street party or a charity event, you do not need to be registered as a food business.

We're having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?Back To Top

Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations. However, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will need a lottery registration. Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Further details can be obtained from the Licensing Section on 0191 4334741 or by emailing licensing@gateshead.gov.uk  

Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

Do we need to clean up afterwards? Back To Top

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

What is not permitted?Back To Top

Whilst the road is closed to vehicular traffic it remains a public highway. You should not operate electrical plant, barbecues or bouncy castles or the like, within the street, or fix any substantial items to the road surface or any street furniture. If you wish to use any of these items in connection with your event you will have to find locations outside the public highway where they can be accommodated.