The Derwent Walk Country Park is a mixture of woodlands, meadows, wetlands, riverside and reclaimed industrial sites all linked by the Derwent Walk.
The Derwent Walk is the track-bed of the old Derwent Valley Railway.
It is 11 miles (18 km) long and follows the Derwent Valley between Swalwell in the north and Consett in the south.
The Country Park between Swalwell and Rowlands Gill is owned by Gateshead Council. Between Rowlands Gill and Consett the Derwent Walk is owned by Durham County Council.
Thornley Woodlands Centre
Located on the A694 near Rowlands Gill.
Thornley Lane, Rowlands Gill NE39 1AU
Displays, information, toilets, parking and visitor help are available.
Cyclists and horse riders please note - there is pedestrian access only at Thornley Woodlands Centre
Open to the public and manned from:
10am – 2pm Monday to Friday
1pm – 4pm Saturday and Sunday.
Closed on Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.
From Saturday 15th Feb 2014 the Cafe at Thornley Woodlands Centre will be open every day from 11am - 3pm.
Telephone: 01207 545212
Cafe at Thornley Wood
A new pop-up cafe is running out of Thornley Woodlands Visitor Centre.
Cafe opening Hours:
Opening hours for the Cafe during winter are:
Friday, Saturday and Sunday only
11.00am to 3.00pm
The cafe serves delicious, locally produced and seasonal food. Including healthy homemade soup, toasties, cakes, ice-creams and hot & cold drinks.
From Monday to Thursday volunteers at the Visitor Centre will be able to provide hot drinks from 10am to 2pm.
Swalwell Visitor Centre
Located at the Swalwell end of the Derwent Walk.
Hexham Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE16 3BN
Permanent Displays, toilets and parking are available.
From Swalwell Visitor Centre there is direct access for cyclists and horse riders to the Derwent Walk and the Derwenthaugh Park multi-user route.
Open daily from 10am until 4pm
Closed on Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.
Telephone: 0191 414 2106
Trails and Cycleways
Detailed access maps:
Derwent Walk Country Park and Derwenthaugh Park Leaflet.
Walking Marked Circular Trails:
4 Mile Walk Around the Country Park.
Horse Riding Marked Circular Trails:
Cycling Marked Circular Trails:
Cycle Way Links From Consett
At Consett the Derwent Walk joins the Consett and Sunderland Railway Path, Waskerley Way and Lanchester Valley Walk at Lydgetts Junction.
Disabled Access and Gateshead Countryside Mobility
The Derwent Walk is wheelchair accessible at Swalwell Visitor Centre and Derwenthaugh Park is wheelchair accessible from Swalwell Visitor Centre and all three car parks along the A694, linking with the Derwent Walk near the Nine Arches Viaduct.
A short circular boardwalk gives limited access to the woodland around Thornley Woodlands Centre. Both observation hides are wheelchair accessible A 'Breakfree' leaflet pack is available free of charge, giving detailed access guidance.
Scooters are available for hire under the Gateshead Countryside Mobility scheme. Scooters are based at the Swalwell Visitor Centre and can be hired on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 10am to 3pm, hire cost £1. The scheme is only open to members of Gateshead Shopmobility (membership £3 per year). To find out more and to book the scooters telephone Gateshead Shopmobility, 0191 477 9888.
The ancient woodlands of the Derwent Valley hold a wide variety of wildlife -carpets of springtime wood anemones and celandines,many birds including green and great spotted woodpecker, nuthatch and sparrowhawk and the occasional glimpse of animals such as, fox, badger and roe deer. The flowers found in the hay meadows support butterflies like the common blue and meadow brown. The Derwent Walk is home to blackcap and whitethroat, heard singing in summer, and bullfinches and flocks of siskins seen feeding in the winter. The River Derwent supports a wide range of wildlife including kingfisher, dipper and otter.
Observation (Bird) Hides
Overlooks a bird feeding station.
Car parking at the Thornley Woodlands Centre.
Far Pasture Ponds and Shibdon Pond
Overlook wetland areas.
Far Pasture - car park beside the hide.
All hides are kept locked and keys are available for purchase from the Thornley Woodlands Centre, Blaydon Leisure and Health Centre and Gateshead Civic Centre. The hides are wheelchair accessible.
For more information on hides see Bird Hides.
Northern Kites Project
Between 2004 and 2006 ninety four red kites were released into the lower Derwent Valley as part of the Northern Kites Project. Kites began to breed in the north east in 2006 after an absence of 170 years.The Northern Kites Project was managed by English Nature and the RSPB in partnership with Gateshead Council, the National Trust, Northumbrian Water and the Forestry Commission with additional funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and the SITA Environmental Trust.
For more information see the Friends of Red Kites.
History of the Derwent Walk
Hollinside Manor is a 13th century manor house situated east of the Nine Arches Viaduct. From the Manor there are commanding views of the Country Park and surrounding countryside. It was the home of the Harding family for two centuries during which time the manor became known as the 'Giant's Castle' since the men folk were very tall. The estate passed on to George Bowes of Gibside in 1730 for the sum of £10,000. Today the Manor is an Ancient Monument.
Until 1986,Derwenthaugh Park was the site of the Derwenthaugh Coke Works. Opened in 1928 it took coal from the Chopwell colliery and the resulting coke was shipped from the staithes on the River Tyne at Derwenthaugh. In the 18th and 19th centuries Crowley's Ironworks dominated the site.These were the largest ironworks in Europe at the time.The workers lived in old Winlaton Mill which was situated along the lane beside the Golden Lion Inn.The village was demolished and re-built on its present site in 1937.
The Hall was built in 1758 by James Paine for Sir Thomas Clavering, an eminent politician who represented County Durham in four Parliaments.
High Forge and Swalwell Visitor Centre
The Swalwell Visitor Centre is built on the site of an old iron/steel forge which was powered by water from the River Derwent. The power for the mill came from a race, which drew water from the weir at Dam Head. The weir, known as 'The Lady's Steps', was a popular picnic spot in Victorian times. Part of the mill race can still be seen in Swalwell Village, but most of it has been covered over.
Although it is difficult to imagine now, Clockburn Lonnen was once the main highway from the north to Durham. It crossed the River Tyne at Newburn then passed to Winlaton via Blaydon Burn and from there to old Winlaton Mill, crossing the Derwent and following Clockburn Lonnen to Durham. Cromwell's army of 16,000 men passed this way on the 15th July 1650 on their way to the Battle of Dunbar.
Derwent Valley Railway
The Derwent Valley Railway was opened in 1867 after three years hard building work. Four viaducts were constructed and a deep, 800 metres long cutting was dug near Rowlands Gill. Stations were built at Shotley Bridge, Ebchester, High Westwood, Lintz Green, Rowlands Gill and Swalwell. At its peak the railway was carrying over half a millionpassengers a yearwithregulargoods traffic of timber,bricks and coal toNewcastle and iron ore to Consett. As road traffic became more efficient the service declined until the line finally closed in 1962. The railway is commemorated in the Geordie folk song about an ill-fated train journey from Rowlands Gill, 'Wor Nanny's aMazer'.
Nine Arches Viaduct
The Nine Arches Viaduct was one of the major engineering feats of the railway. It is five hundred feet long and was built because the Earl of Strathmore would not allow the railway to pass through the Gibside Estate.
From the Derwent Walk near Rowlands Gill there are panoramic views across to the Gibside Estate. The hall was completed in 1620 but the estate was not landscaped until the 18th century. The Column of Liberty, Orangery, Banqueting Hall and Chapel were all built during the landscaping period. The Estate is now owned by the National Trust and is open to the public.
National Trust - Gibside Estate
The Butterfly Bridge and Winlaton Mill
The Butterfly Bridge was originally built in 1842 by John English. Lang Jack, as he was known, stood 6 feet 4 inches and worked as a stonemason on the old Scotswood Bridge before he built the Butterfly Bridge. The new bridgewas built in 1950. Near the bridge are the remains of George Eavan's house, the miller of the flour mill. This ruin is all that remains of old Winlaton Mill. The village was very attractive with white-washed cottages and a stream running through the centre. Winlaton Mill was founded by Saxon families who chose to settle there after the Romans left the area.
The following are available: