Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Fishing Licence


Any angler aged 12 years or over, fishing for:

  • salmon;
  • trout;
  • freshwater fish;
  • eels;

in England (except the River Tweed), Wales or the Border Esk and its tributaries in Scotland must have a rod licence. These are issued by the Environment Agency.

Money from the sale of licences helps to fund the Environment Agency in its work managing fisheries. If you are caught fishing without a rod licence, you are cheating other anglers and could be fined up to £2,500.