Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details
 

The history of the Angel of the North

 
Angel Side View
The Angel of The North

1500s-1960s
Coal mined in the area. Team Colliery worked from 1720s. Modern baths complex built in 1939. Mining ceased on this site late 1960s. 

1989
Reclamation of former pit head baths site overlooking the A1.

July 1990 
Gateshead Council's Art in Public Places Panel decides in principle to earmark the site of the former pit head baths overlooking the A1 in Gateshead for a future landmark sculpture.

1992
Landscaping of site completed.

December 1993
A shortlist of international artists was drawn up and candidates invited to make proposals for the site.

January 1994
Sculptor Antony Gormley selected by the panel and design proposals progressed with world renowned engineering consultants, Ove Arup & Partners.

February 1995
Planning permission for the project approved by Council.

April 1996
Funding of £800,000 secured for the sculpture: £584,000 from the Arts Council is Lottery Fund, £150,000 from the European Regional Development Fund, £45,000 from Northern Arts, plus private sponsorship.

February 1997
Fabrication contract put out to tender. 

March 1997
Fabrication contractors visit Gormley's studio to see the Angel models.

May 1997
Fabrication company chosen - Hartlepool Fabrications Ltd on Teesside.

July 1997
Delivery of first consignment of steel for fabrication to Hartlepool.

September 1997
Work began on Angel of the North foundations by Thomas Armstrong (Construction) Ltd. 

January 1998
Fabrication of sculpture nears completion.

February 1998
Angel of the North on site.

Contact Us

The Gallery
Gateshead Central Library
Prince Consort Road
Gateshead
NE8 4LN
Tel: 0191 433 3000

Travel Line
Tel: 0871 200 22 33
Textphone: 0870 241 2216