The Angel of the North has won an impressive collection of awards.
- 1995 National Art Collection Fund Award for outstanding contribution to the visual arts.
- 1996 British Gas/ Arts Council Working for Cities Award.
- 1998 Northern Electric & Gas Awards – Arts Event of the Year
1998 The British Constructional Steelwork Association Awards ( structural steel design).
- 1998 British Construction Industry awards, small projects section; highly commended.
- 1999 The South Banks Show Award for Visual Arts.
- 2000 Civic Trust Award.
- 2001 Named by the BBC as one of the classic designs of the twentieth century.
- 2002 Voted one of the 'Wonders of Britain' in a national survey carried out by The Yellow Pages. Other wonders included The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Stonehenge and Windsor Castle.
- 2008 Voted one of 'Britain's top ten landmarks' by a poll conducted by YouGov for consultants Faithful + Gould. It is now regarded in the same league as Big Ben and Stonehenge.
- 2008 topped a national poll as the UK's most recognised landmark in poll carried out by The National Lottery.