The Council has been supporting the Gateshead Arts Association ( GAA ) for more than 20 years. The GAA is a loose association of Voluntary Arts Groups covering a wide range of arts activities. Its purpose is:
- to raise the profile of Amateur Arts Activities;
- enabling groups to work together;
- share training and learn from good practice.
Over the years the GAA have organised joint events and made joint funding applications to develop facilities for amateur arts in Gateshead.
Project to support the Amateur and Voluntary Arts Sector in Gateshead
This is a year long project running until March 2006 based at Gateshead Visitor Centre. It aims to:
- develop the profile, role and skills of Voluntary Arts Organisations in Gateshead;
- offer advice and information on funding opportunities to Voluntary Arts Groups in Gateshead;
- provide some detailed knowledge of the strength and type of Voluntary Arts Development within a minimum of 2 of the 5 Neighbourhood areas;
- encourage and enlarge the numbr of volunteers engaging in Cultural Activities in Gateshead;
- support and evaulate the Gateshead Arts Association, leading to devising a development project for this organisation;
- report on an overview of the Voluntary Arts Sector, including current and future challenges and future potential needs for strengthening the sector.