Advanced manufacturing | Logistics and distribution | Business, professional and financial services | Retail
Gateshead has a long-standing reputation as a centre of excellence in creativity and artistic innovation.
This is the home of more than 200 creative and digital media businesses. Young entrepreneurs are working alongside worldwide brands such as Facebook to explore new areas of specialisation.
The Gateshead Creative Quarter, to the south of the world famous NewcastleGateshead Quayside, is fast developing as an attractive and dynamic area for creative industries as a result of a strong indigenous sector presence, world class facilities and state-of-the-art infrastructure.
- labour costs in the North East are less than ½ of that in San Francisco and New York, and up to 30% less than London
- a 25 person video games operation in Gateshead will save £1m per annum compared to the London region
- VRTGO Labs is the first European VR industry-led centre of excellence. Associates of VRTGO Labs are working on cutting edge VR and AR technology, with leading brands such as Audi, Jaguar, Land Rover, PlayStation and Facebook-owned Oculus VR headset
- Northern Design Centre is a hub of design innovation and product development in the region. It provides incubation space and studios for new and growing businesses, exhibition space and presentation facilities, and showcases facilities and space for interdisciplinary working
- Gateshead International Business Centre provides the base for some of the country’s cutting edge creative start-ups