Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Renting a home

Housing Association Property

Housing Association:
Schemes to rent an affordable house. 

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered Housing:
information about sheltered housing.

How to Get a Council House

How to get a Council House:
Information about renting from The Gateshead Housing Company.

Properties to Rent

Properties to Rent:
Help to find a property to rent.


Whether you're looking for a new private let or would like information on sheltered housing in Gateshead, you will the pages in this section useful.

You can find out:

Right to Rent checks

From 1 February, anyone who rents out private property in England, including those subletting or taking in lodgers, will have to make right to rent checks. This means checking that tenants have the right to be in the UK.

This new ruling will help to protect against immigration abuse and prevent people from staying in the UK illegally. For new tenants who will live in the property as their main or only home, the checks will involve three steps:

  • Obtain – tenants original documents that allow them to live in the UK
  • Check – the validity of the documents with the tenant present
  • Copy – and keep the copied documents on file and record the date of the check.

The checks need to be undertaken on all new tenants on or after 1 February and applies to all tenants, not just foreign nationals.

Failure to carry out the correct checks could leave a landlord liable to a civil penalty of £3000 per tenant.

More information can be found at