Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Repairs to drains and sewers



Examining defective drainage
Council Examining Drains

The Council has a legal duty to ensure that anyone responsible for the provision and maintenance of drainage carries out their responsibilities to keep the borough free from public health hazards.

Since October 2011 the responsibility for clearing blockages, repair and maintenance of the majority of drains and sewers has been transferred to Northumbrian Water.

Only drains that are within land in the same ownership as the house they serve and are not shared with any one else remain the responsibility of the owner.

If you have a problem and you believe that the cause lies outside your property, or is in a drain shared with your neighbours, you should contact Northumbrian Water on 0845 717 1100 who will advise further and arrange for work to be carried out if it is their responsibility.

Useful information is also to be found on the Northumbrian Water website by following:

If you experience a problem and wish to confirm responsibility or someone that you believe is responsible fails to carry out any work, please contact the Private Sector Housing Renewal Team today on (0191) 433 3000, or contact us online now by completing the form below.

Council Houses

Just like any landlord, the Council is responsible for the drains and the private sewers conveying waste from Council-owned properties or those managed by the Gateshead Housing Company. Tenants of the Gateshead Housing Company experiencing domestic drainage problems should contact the Repair Reporting Service or their Gateshead Housing Company local office.

Work in the Public Highway

The Council’s Transport and Highways Service is responsible for investigating problems with highway drainage and provision of new highway drains where necessary. Highway drains include the surface water or road gulleys that keep roads free from flooding.

It is an offence to pour anything other than clean water down a road gully.

If you need to carry out works to your private sewer which require the footpath, road or a rear lane to be dug up, contact Jimmy Young at Transport and Highways on (0191) 433 3073 for advice and how to get permission.

To report a blocked, overflowing or defective road gulley contact Local Environmental Services on 433 7000.

New drainage work

All drainage systems installed during new building work, must comply with "Part H" of the current Building Regulations.  For more information visit the Building Regulations page

Garden Groundwater

Water is naturally present in the ground. The water content will depend upon sub-soil composition, geographical position, topography, climate and weather. Groundwater tends to increase over long wet spells and decrease over long dry spells: seasonal increases can often be a nuisance in gardens. Since groundwater is usually a wholly natural occurrence, it is the responsibility of individual landowners to deal with excess water. It may be possible to pipe the water via a field drain and then to dispose of the flows by connecting to house drains or a soakaway in another part of the garden. The Transport and Highways Service may be able to offer advice.