Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details



If you are homeless or think you may be threatened with homelessness please contact our Housing Options Team on 0800 923 9995 or 0191 433 3174

Am I eligible for assistance?

You are not eligible for assistance under homeless legislation if:

  • You are from abroad and are subject to immigration control.

Top of Page

Am I homeless?

A person is threatened with homelessness if he or she is likely to be homeless within 28 days.

The definition of homeless states that you are homeless if:

  • You have no accommodation in the UK or elsewhere which is available for your occupation and which you have the legal right to occupy.
  • You have a home but cannot gain entry to it.
  • Your home is a boat, mobile home or caravan and you have nowhere legally to moor it or park it.
  • You have nowhere you can live together with your immediate family.
  • You have somewhere to stay but it is unreasonable for you to continue to stay there, for example due to Domestic Violence.

Top of Page

Am I in priority need?

Gateshead Council will have a legal duty to assist you with accommodation as a homeless person if you are in ‘priority need'. You would be classed as being in priority need if:

  • You have a dependant child who resides with you on a full time basis.
  • You or a member of your household are pregnant.
  • Your household includes a person who may be vulnerable because of old age, mental illness, physical disability
  • You are homeless as a result of an emergency such as flood, fire or other disaster.
  • You are 16 or 17

Top of Page

What is intentionally homeless?

You would be intentionally homeless if you deliberately chose to leave a home you could have stayed in, or if it was your fault you lost your home for example, you have become homeless because you deliberately did not pay your rent or mortgage . If you are found to be intentionally homeless the council would not have a duty to find you a permanent home. They will give you advice and assistance on the housing options available to you.

Top of Page

Do I have a local connection?

If you do not have a local connection to Gateshead the Housing Options Team may refer you to another local authority to provide homeless assistance. You will have a local connection with Gateshead if:

  • You have lived in Gateshead for 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years.


  • You have a permanent job in the borough, or
  • You have close relatives who have lived in the borough for 5 years, or
  • You have a special reason why you must live in the area.

Top of Page

I don't agree with my homeless decision, what can I do?

If you think the decision the council has made about your homeless application is wrong, you have the right to request a review. This includes decisions about whether you;

  • Are eligible for assistance
  • Are homeless or threatened with homeless
  • Have a priority need
  • Have a local connection with the area

If the council has provided you with temporary accommodation or has made you an offer of accommodation to alleviate your homelessness you can request a review of the suitability of accommodation, whether or not you accept the property.

Top of Page

Requesting a review

You have the right to request a review of any decision made regarding your homeless status or against the suitability of an offer of accommodation made to you as your final homeless offer.

Your request for a review must be submitted within 21 days of being notified of the Council’s decision. A review may be submitted on your behalf by any other person or agency who has your authority to do so. 

Your review request must include:

  • Your name,
  • Contact address and
  • Detailed reasons why you think the decision is wrong or the property offered is unsuitable.

Your review request can be submitted in writing or by email marked for the attention of:

Operational Housing Coordinator
Housing Options
Care, Wellbeing & Learning
Adult Social Care & Independent Living
Civic Centre
Regent Street

If a formal review request is received within 21 days of the date of the councils homeless decision letter(Section 184 letter) or final offer letter your appeal will be considered by a panel of three elected members. You and/or your representative will be invited to attend the hearing and will be provided with details of when and where the hearing will take place.

If your review request is received outside of the 21 day deadline you will not be entitled to a panel hearing unless there are exceptional circumstances which prevented you from requesting a review within the 21 day deadline. Your review will be dealt with by an independent officer and you will receive a written response.

Top of Page

Rough sleeping

No Second Night Out (NSNO) is a new approach which tries to make sure that anyone new to sleeping on the streets gets help so that they do not have to have a second night there. There are also other approaches aimed at helping those who have been rough sleeping for a while or keep returning to the streets.

In December 2012, the 12 local authorities in the North East, as part of the North East Regional Homelessness Group (NERHG), agreed to adopt the NSNO Standard for helping people who are sleeping rough.

Telephone: 0800 056 8588
Email Address:

Top of Page

Contact Us

Housing Options Team
The Gateshead Housing Company
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Phone: 0191 433 3174

Office Opening Hours:

Homeless Assistance 8.45am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday & 8.45am to 4.30pm on Fridays

Housing Options Advice Drop In Sessions 9.00am to 3.00pm Monday, Tuesday & Thursdays

Out of Office Hours Homeless Assistance
There is an Emergency Homeless Service available between the hours of 6.00pm till 8.00am Monday to Friday and from 6.00pm Friday 24 hours till 8.00am Monday. To access assistance contact 0191 477 0844 or approach the civic centre.

 Top of Page

External Links 

Homeless UK
Immigration Advice
Crisis UK
Department of Communities & Local Government
Womens Aid