One of our key aims, as set out in Vision 2030, is to enable “local people to realise their full potential, enjoying the best quality of life in a healthy, safe, propserous and sustainable Gateshead.
Our Housing Strategy (1Mb) looks to help deliver this aim.
The Strategy covers all types of housing in the Borough, whether it is:
- managed by The Gateshead Housing Company on behalf of the Council;
- privately rented from a housing association or private landlord or
- owned and lived in by the householder or family.
It considers current and future provision of all types of housing and supported accommodation in the Borough to enable people to live independently in their own homes for longer, as well as the effects of homelessness.
The strategy highlights the key priorities relating to these issues and set out how, the Council and its partners will work together to address these issues within current and future available resources.
The Strategy is structured around three linked objectives:
- Support - To help residents access and sustain a home which promotes their wellbeing. Preventing Homelessness is a key element.
- Standards - To improve the quality, condition and management of housing so that all residents benefit from safe, healthy and well-managed homes. Further information can be found on our Help, Support and Advice page.
- Supply - To ensure use of existing stock and supply of new housing best meets current and future needs and aspirations. It is important to provide not only the right mix of housing types and tenures but also ensuring the land available is transformed into attractive and viable housing sites where developers want to build and individuals want to buy and live. Further information on how we are planning for our future can be found on our Local Plan page.
What information has been used to help inform our decisions in relation to our housing strategy?
View our research page