If you are between the ages of 40 and 74 and you haven’t already been diagnosed with heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease or dementia, you are eligible for a free NHS Health Check every five years which can help you prevent these illnesses.
NHS Health Checks assess the risks to your health and offer you personalised advice and support to help you minimise those risks.
Why are NHS Health Checks important?
As we get older, we have a higher risk of high blood pressure, heart disease or type 2 diabetes. Your NHS Health Check can spot the early signs of these and help prevent them.
Where to start?
Support in Gateshead
In Gateshead, we offer NHS Health Checks at:
- All GP surgeries (contact your local surgery directly)
- The following pharmacies:
- Whitworth Chemists, Wrekenton Health Centre, Springwell Road, Wrekenton, Gateshead, NE9 7AD, Phone 0191 487 7007
- Lobley Hill Pharmacy, 72 Malvern Gardens, Lobley Hill, Gateshead, NE11 9LJ, Phone 0191 420 0213
- Tesco Pharmacy, Trinity Square, Gateshead, NE8 1AG, Phone 0345 610 2906
- Find out about keeping fit
More help from your GP
If you are registered with your local GP, you will receive an invite to take part in an NHS Health Check every five years starting from when you turn 40.
If you don’t receive an invite from your GP you can ask for a Health Check directly, or book one using the alternative methods above.