Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Returning home


If you or someone you care for is unable to look after themselves when they leave hospital, help and support is available.

Before leaving hospital, health professionals and council social care workers will discuss any further treatment and discharge appointments that are needed, as well as support available to help at home. If you have any concerns please bring these to the attention of the ward manager or contact Community Based Services at the hospital on 0191 445 2200.

If it is identified that help with personal care is needed, then with consent a member of the nursing team will contact the council and ask for an assessment of your needs for adult social care . The assessment looks at how daily tasks are managed, whether it is safe to go home and what support the carers need, all of which may include a visit to the home. 

Options to help people live independently at home include short term support to help regain daily living skills, alternative housing which may include sheltered accommodation, and physical changes that can be made to the home such as handrails, building ramps or loaning equipment including bath seats, commodes and chair raisers.

There are also home care options from voluntary agencies and nursing services which may be considered.

If you are assessed as needing services from Gateshead Council, we will need to gather information about your financial circumstances to find out whether you have to pay anything towards these services.

If you have left hospital but feel you need some support and assistance, contact Adult Social Care Direct using the details below, who will be able to help you.

Contact us

For further information about adult social care in Gateshead contact:
Adult Social Care Direct, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Phone: 0191 433 7033
Online enquiry form