Apply for a permit
You need a permit if you're dropping off at a recycling centre using a van, pick-up truck or a car with a trailer.
Permit scheme information
Information on why we have a permit scheme and who should (and shouldn't) apply for a permit to use our recycling centres.
If you plan on using one of our household waste and recycling centres using a van, a pick-up truck or a car with a trailer you will need to apply for a waste permit.
Car users are unaffected by this scheme.
Who can apply for a permit?
Permits can only be issued to Gateshead and Sunderland residents (Sunderland residents can only use Campground facility).
- A single permit is required per site visit
- Permits are valid for a 28 day period starting from the date you specify
How to apply
You can apply for a permit by using one of the following methods. Unless there is a query about your permit application, your permits will be issued within 5 working days of receipt of application:
- Apply online
- Telephone Customer Services on 0191 433 7000 Monday to Thursday 8am to 5.30pm and Friday 8am to 5pm
- In person at Gateshead Civic Centre - Monday to Thursday 8.45am - 5.30pm and Friday 8.45am - 5pm
Incomplete applications may result in a delay or refusal of permission. It is strongly advised that a daytime telephone number is supplied to enable faster processing in the event of any queries with your application.
A separate permit will be required for every load deposited at a site.
If you arrive at the site and your details on the permit are found to be incorrect you can be refused entry.
Please note that certain items have limits on the number/amount accepted on site. For example, tyres, bathroom suites and plasterboard. Please contact customer services on 0191 433 7000 for further information.
Terms and conditions of the permit scheme
When you apply for a permit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the permit scheme. In order to gain access to the site, please note the following:
- Vehicles must be 5 metres or under in length bumper-to-bumper.
- Trailers must be 3 metres or under in length from tow bar to end.
- Vans with trailers are not allowed access to the sites.
- Driver of the vehicle must be insured to drive it.
- Vehicle details must match the details given on the permit.
- Waste details must match the details given on the permit.
- Waste must come from your own property and not from a trade business.
- Permits must be in date and must not have expired. Permits are valid for a 28-day period, starting on the date you specify.
- Waste must not be hazardous in nature.
Fly tipping of rubbish is illegal. It carries a maximum penalty of £20,000 and / or 2 years imprisonment.