Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page |2 - News |3 - Site Map |4 - Search |5 - A to Z |6 - Help |7 - Complaints Procedure |8 - Information Rights |9 - Council Contacts |0 - Access key details |

This site uses cookies - find out more|


Special Educational Needs


The Council work closely with schools, academies and partners to co-ordinate, commission and provide a wide range of specialist services to support children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND) and their families.

The Council do this by having due regard to the SEN Code of Practice, which can be found below (first published Jan 2002). The SEN Code of Practice is currently being revised in parallel with new provisions in the Children and Families Bill (2013) and a draft can be found here: Draft SEN Code of Practice|.


The work of the Gateshead TranSEND pathfinder programme, including Education, Health and Care Plans and Eligibility Information


Home to college transport (16+) 

How to apply for Home to College Transport (16 years and over)


Home to school transport

How to apply for Home to School transport (under 16 years old)



The local offer

Detailed information about the services available for children and young people with SEND and their families in Gateshead


Parent Partnership Service

Independent, impartial info and support to parents and carers with children with SEN



Assessments for children and young people with SEND



Services for children with disabilities

Information on services provided for children with disabilities




Contact Us

Pupil and Parent Services
Children's Commissioning
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Tel: 0191 433 3575

Powered by Contensis|