Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Your views about Gateshead's Local Offer


Feedback and comments smallWe welcome your views about our Local Offer. If you think information is missing or needs to be added or updated you can tell us using the contact details below. We also want you to tell us if you couldn't find a service you were looking for so we can either signpost you in the right direction or work towards filling that gap in provision.

Phone: 0191 433 3626

Your views on SEND developments

We are committed to ensuring that children and young people with SEND and their parents and carers are fully involved in the way SEND services are developed and provided so we will post information about developments we are working on below to ask what you think about them.   

We want to hear from parents of children with SEND about the way in which we are proposing to introduce an 'Inclusion Fund' in Gateshead. This fund will aim to ensure that 3 and 4 year olds with SEND that are accessing early years funded entitlement receive timely, planned and monitored early interventions to ensure they stay within their setting and are provided with opportunities to access and experience the Early Years Foundation Stage framework. The fund could be used to pay for extra staff time, specialist training for staff, resources, support for co-ordination of key working or helping children who are transitioning to school.   

View the consultation document for more detailed information and to provide your views.

You Said, We Did

The feedback we have received so far and what we have done as a result can be found in our 'You Said, We Did' summary (222Kb)

This report: Views of children about the SEN support provided at their school (7.14Mb) highlights the views of 241 children and young people with SEND who were interviewed in groups at their school/placement by the Council's Disabled Children's Involvement worker during September-December 2016. We shared this information with schools to improve how we ensure the views of children and young people to be heard.  

How to raise a concern or complaint

If you have any concerns or you want to make a complaint about a service please click on the link below.

Who can help me put my point across?

There are a range of organisations in Gateshead independent from the Council that can help you put your views across and voice any concerns you may have. For more information click on the links below:

How we gather the views of young people

Gateshead Council is committed to gathering the views of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities which helps us to improve and shape services and identify any gaps in service provision. The diagram below highlights how we do this and the difference it makes.

Diagram - How we gather the views of young people with SEND (380Kb)

Your views on services

We want to ensure that the services you receive are excellent quality and encourage service providers to actively seek your views about the level of service you receive. If you receive a survey or questionnaire or are invited to give your views in any other way about a service, please do so, as it will help the service provider to improve. If you are dissatisfied about a service, you should contact the service provider directly to discuss this or to make a complaint. If you have already done this and are still dissatisfied you can contact Gateshead Council for further advice on 0191 433 3626 Email:

If you are concerned about a child’s safety, you should immediately contact Gateshead Council on 0191 433 2410 (office hours) or 0191 477 0844 (out of hours).

Contact us

Special Educational Needs and Disability Team
Gateshead Council
0191 433 3626

Facebook logoFollow us on Facebook