Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Diagnosis and Assessment (0-25 years)

Doctor smallSome disabilities and additional needs are identified and diagnosed at birth, whilst others are not diagnosed until much later because it is not always easy to identify early on. For some, a diagnosis may never be made.

Health and progress checks at age 2-3

Usually a child’s disability or additional need will become clearer as they reach the age when they should be talking, walking or reading.

When your child is aged 2 to 3, a health review is carried out usually by a health visitor at your local children’s centre, GP surgery or at home. If your child attends an early years setting, such as a nursery, at the age of 2 to 3, a progress check will be carried out which looks at your child’s development in the three main learning and development areas - personal, social and emotional development, physical development and communication and language.

These checks help professionals identify additional development needs as early as possible so that relevant assessments can be undertaken and support can be put in place. If you are concerned or think your child has an undiagnosed condition or SEN, you should speak to your GP, health visitor, child’s teacher or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) who should help you get the advice you need.

Assessing your child's needs and getting the right support

‘Assessment’ is the name given to a process of tests, history taking and observations that may be carried out by various workers which enables everyone to get a better understanding of your child so that the best possible support can be put in place. This may result in a diagnosis of a disability or SEN.

Under the Children Act 1989, Gateshead Council’s Social Care Service has a duty to assess a ‘child in need’, which includes children with disabilities. In Gateshead this is carried out by a social worker from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Team.

An educational statutory assessment could also be carried out which could result in your child receiving an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan), which investigates the education, health and social care needs of a child and their family and recommends what level of support is required. Parents/carers can request that the local authority (Gateshead Council) carry out an assessment for an EHC Plan for their child. The local authority needs to provide valid reasons to parents if they think a statutory assessment is not required. In Gateshead, the SEND Information, Advice and Support Service can provide you with independent advice, support and guidance throughout this process. You and your child should be fully involved throughout the assessment process and if an EHC Plan is provided, it will;

  • identify the needs of your child, the support that will be provided across the areas of education, and if it’s required, health and social care
  • when, how and who will provide the support,
  • what it will help your child achieve (outcomes) and,
  • when and how support will be reviewed.

More information about the EHCP assessment process can be found here, including how you can request one. If an assessment is carried out and it is found that your child does not require an EHCP, don't worry, there is still a wide range of help and support available, which you can find by clicking below:

Support available for children WITHOUT an EHC Plan

A carer’s assessment may also be carried out which will help identify what support you yourself as a parent/carer might require to assist in caring for your child. More information can be found by clicking below:

Carer's Assessment 

NHS Little Orange Book

The Little Orange Book contains tips and advice on how to manage common illnesses and problems that babies and young children often experience in the first 5 years of their lives. It also has more information on more serious conditions, what to look out for and how to get help.

More information

Family Information Directory 
The Local Offer section of Gateshead Council's Family Information Directory includes information about the advice, support and services available for young people with SEN or a disability and their parents/carers.

Early Support booklets

Local and national organisations 
Local and national organisations that provide help and support can be found in the Voluntary and community organisations booklet (1.4Mb). You can also search

Gateshead Council's Family Intervention Team (FIT) is a team of workers who are able to provide emotional and practical help to support eligible families who may be experiencing difficulties with coping with managing household budgets, family relationships, parenting or home conditions. They also offer free parenting courses to help parents and carers build effective relationships with children of all ages and with a variety of needs. For more information, phone 0191 433 3426 or 0191 433 2565 or email:

Financial Advice and Support

Contact a Family have produced a useful booklet about financial advice and support that may be available to you if your child has a disability:

Money Matters booklet (479Kb)

Special Educational Needs and Disability Team
Gateshead Council
0191 433 3626

Facebook logoFollow us on Facebook