Your child may qualify for free home to school transport depending on your:
- location (where you live)
- child's age
If they have special educational needs (SEN) or a disability they might also be eligible.
Does your child qualify?
We provide home to school transport for children who live further than the legal walking distance from appropriate neighbourhood school (2 miles for primary school and 3 miles for secondary school).
Secondary school pupils who are in receipt of free school meals or whose household qualifies for the maximum level of working tax credits will also qualify for free school travel if they attend:
- one of their three nearest qualifying schools and live between 2 and 6 miles away
- the nearest suitable school (preferred on grounds of religion or belief) and live between 2 and 15 miles away
In a small number of cases, school pupils need help because they have additional needs. These may include pupils with special educational needs or physical disabilities. For more information please see transport for children with additional needs.
Home to school or college transport changes
In 2013, the council carried out a consultation exercise and agreed at its 2014 budget meeting to:
- withdraw free home to school transport for parents choosing schools other than their catchment area school (including faith schools)
- introduce a charge for home to school or college transport for learners with additional needs aged over 16
Free home to school transport for all pupils not attending their catchment area school ceased from September 2015.
We still provide free transport to school for eligible pupils qualifying under the means tested scheme (see above).
The charge for home to school or college transport for learners with additional needs aged over 16 was to be introduced from September 2016. However, this decision has been put on hold and will be reviewed again before September 2017.
How to apply
To apply, please download the application form below.
This application form can be used to apply for a pass at any stage in the school year, though if you require a new pass for the beginning of the September term you must have submitted your application by 10 June 2016.