Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Applying for an in-year school transfer


Parents of children who are of statutory school age that either move in to Gateshead or who are already living in Gateshead but wish to change their child’s school, should apply for a school place using the transfer application for either primary or secondary school. 

The Education Support Service can provide specific advice and guidance on the in–year transfer process. Parents will need to complete the application form, submit any additional information required and have the form completed and signed by a member of staff at the child’s current school. This will provide additional information that the Local Authority will consider to determine whether a referral to the Fair Access process is appropriate.

School places cannot be allocated on the basis of intended future changes of address unless the house move has been confirmed through the exchange of contracts or the signing of a formal lease. (Crown servants and Armed Forces personnel are exempt). We also reserve the right to ask for further documentary evidence to verify residence. Children also have to be resident in the borough if moving from abroad before the transfer form will be processed.

We apply the same admission policy for in–year transfers as we do for the first year of admission to both primary and secondary school. Admission to Gateshead schools is therefore dependent upon the availability of places in the appropriate year group at the time of application. Year groups in some schools may however be full at the time you request a place. Unfortunately both Gateshead Local Authority and schools that are their own admission authority do not reserve places for parents that move into either a school’s catchment area or the parish of their preferred school.

Application forms

The application form will ask for: 

  • Up to three preferences in ranked order
  • Details of the child for whom the application is being made
  • Details of any siblings
  • Reasons for the preferences
  • Details about the person completing the application form, name, address, contact details and relationship to the child
  • Information from the child’s current school signed by a senior member of school staff.

Schoool transfer application form (147Kb)

Application forms will not be processed unless the child’s current school has completed and signed the form.

If additional information is required by the governing body of a voluntary aided school or academy in order to comply with their over subscription criteria, parents will need to complete a supplementary form which will be available from the school.

Children with an Education Health Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs should contact the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Team on telephone number 0191 433 3641.

Refusal of a school place

If we refuse a place at your preferred school, we will let you know where there are alternative school places available, and also offer the right of appeal to an independent school admissions appeal panel. Appeal forms for community schools are available from the Education Support Service and should be returned to Legal, Democratic and Property Services, Civic Centre, Gateshead NE8 1HH, who will acknowledge your receipt and an appeal will be convened within 30 days of this date. Appeal forms for voluntary aided schools and academies are available directly from the school.

Where a school is full in the requested year group, the school will maintain a waiting list ranked in order of the schools oversubscription criteria. You must write directly to the school requesting that the child’s name be placed on this list. If a place becomes available then you will be contacted directly by the school, and if you have not already done so you will need to complete a transfer form.

Fair Access Protocol

Fair access protocols exist to ensure that access to appropriate education is provided for children that have difficulty in securing a mainstream school place due to either behaviour, attendance or other issues that may require additional support to ensure a successful transition. This process ensures that all schools admit their fair share of challenging students and also reflects the commitment of all schools to work in partnership to secure the best outcomes for young people.

For further information on Fair Access Protocols please contact the Education Support Service on 0191 433 8745.

Contact us

For help and advice on transferring between schools in Gateshead after the start of the academic year

Phone: 0191 433 8589