Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Information for childminders

Become a registered childminder in Gateshead

To become a registered childminder you must be:

  • over 18 years old. 
  • self-employed working from your own home. 
  • providing care, play and learning opportunities to children
  • providing care for more than two hours per day.

We offer childminder briefing sessions twice per year to prospective childminders living in Gateshead. These briefings are free to attend. They aim to provide you with knowledge into the role and responsibilities of becoming a childminder.

A childminder briefing session will be held on:

Tuesday 25 Sept 2018 – 6.00 – 8.45pm

Tuesday 22 Jan 2019 – 6.00 – 8.45pm

We will email confirmations along with relevant documents and information.

A childminder training programme for new childminders follows the childminder briefing session. Eligibility, booking criteria and costs apply for this. 

Contact us for more information or to book a place.

All childminders must work within the guidelines of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). explains how to register as a childminder or childcare provider. 

HMRC offers free e-learning for childminders. 'Starting in Business' advises on the tax and National Insurance issues involved in starting your own business.

Safer Food Better Business for Childminders

Safer food, better business is the Food Standards Agency pack especially for childminders. 

The pack gives simple advice on food safety including information about cooking for babies and children. Cleaning and looking after a child with a food allergy.

The Food Standards Agency provides more information about food safety.

Gateshead Council offer advice on food hygiene requirements.

Information Commissioners Office (ICO)

As a childminder in England you need to keep detailed records about the children you look after and their development.

If you store personal information about the children on your computer or any digital format you may need to register with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). This includes smart phones and photos on digital cameras. Use the self-assessment to help you decide if you need to register.

Contact ICO if you are in any doubt about whether you need to register.

Contact us

Gateshead Families Information Service
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 5118

Send us your comments or queries