We have a corporate fraud team who investigate fraud and irregularity allegations.
Fraud within the public sector costs the taxpayer billions every year. We are committed to zero tolerance on all aspects of fraud.
Types of fraud
We are committed to tackling all types of fraud and corruption, including:
- Council Tax
- Business Rates
- Housing – tenancy or Right to Buy
- Blue badge
- Offences committed by employees and suppliers or contractors
- Social Care / Direct Payments
- Free school meals
- Insurance claims such as slips, trips and falls
We encourage confidence in reporting suspected illegal or illegitimate practices. Individuals who make disclosures are completely safe.
Investigations into benefit fraud are no longer undertaken by the council. Please report benefit fraud to the Department for Works and Pensions.
All reports will be noted, but some may be resolved informally. Concerns will be handled sensitively, in confidence and without fear.
We investigate with a view to:
- criminal prosecution (dependent on circumstances) or pursuing internal disciplinary action,
- recovery of monies or property obtained through fraudulent acts.