1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Register a new food business


 All food businesses must register with the Local Authority in which they operate.

Register a business via Gov.uk  


Food businesses includes mobile vehicles and market traders. The definition of a business includes charities, small clubs and individuals. It may include someone who sells excess produce from an allotment. Sale is not only exchanging goods for money, but includes swapping goods and giving items away free of charge. Registration is free and requires you to complete the form at the top of the page.

If your business supplies products of animal origin to other businesses you might need approval from us

You may also need a licence if you are selling alcohol, selling hot food after 11pm, or operating a mobile vehicle on public land.

Visit the Food Standards Agency website for further advice for new food businesses.

Gatesheadbusiness is the largest business network in Gateshead. 

If you are unsure then do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact us

Environmental Health
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Tel: 0191 433 3951
Fax: 0191 477 4827
E-mail: environmentalhealth@gateshead.gov.uk