Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Feed Hygiene Registration


Animal feed plays an important part in the food chain and has implications for the composition and quality of livestock products that people eat, such as milk, meat and eggs.

As many contagious diseases are passed through the food chain, regular inspections are required for both producers and users of animal feed and regulations are in place to ensure that animal feed is produced and used safely, and can be traced in the event of a food/feed safety incident.

The Animal Feed (Hygiene, Sampling etc. and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2015 SI 2015 No. 454, mean that businesses involved in the production, use, transportation, storage or marketing of animal feeds must be registered or approved by the Council's Trading Standards service. 

These businesses include:

  • livestock farms
  • arable farms growing crops for feed use
  • companies that transport or store animal feed
  • food manufacturers selling by-products of food production into the feed chain
  • retailers and wholesalers of animal feed (excluding pet food in certain circumstances)
  • pharmacists who supply mineral and vitamin supplements for animals.

How to register

If your business or activity falls into one of these categories and you are not already registered, you should complete the Application Form  and return it to us through one of the contact details at the bottom of the page.  The application form also contains the different categories that you can register under, please include all that apply to your business.

To be registered or approved by the Council you must meet specific requirements. These are detailed in the documents below:

Annex C - Primary production regulations 

Annex D - Non Primary production regulations 

Annex E - Pasture Grazing 

Note: ‘Primary production’ means the production, rearing and growing of basic ingredients including harvesting, milking and farming animals prior to slaughter. It also includes hunting and fishing and the harvesting of wild products.

External links

Department for Food and Rural Affairs

Food Standards Agency

Further information

For further information or clarification, please contact Trading Standards, Gateshead Council, Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH.
Phone: 0191 433 3889