1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Hoarding permit


If you want to position a hoarding on a public highway (which includes pavements, roads and highways) you will need to have a hoarding permit in place.

Anyone erecting a hoarding on the highway should be aware of the following requirements:

  • It is an offence to erect a hoarding on the highway without the permission of the highways authority;
  • The highway authority may grant permission (licence) with or without conditions;
  • The owner of a scaffold must ensure that it is erected in accordance with safety conditions attached to the licence.



Per hoarding
Per 28 days (if installed by a competent company)

How to apply

Download and complete the application form and return it to us with the appropriate fee.

Contact Us

Regulatory Services
Building Control
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Tel: 0191 433 3144

Email: skips@gateshead.gov.uk