Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Building Control


Building Regulations are national standards for England and Wales which apply to most types of buildings, whether in the home or a commercial development. They ensure that the environment in which we all live is a safe and healthy place. They don’t control everything but concentrate on health and safety, energy conservation and the needs of all people, including those with disabilities, in accessing and moving around buildings.

Meeting the requirements of the building regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building.

In this section

Do I need building regulations permission?

Most building work will require permission. Find out what work is regulated


How to apply for building regulation approval

Details of how to apply including download forms and how to submit your plans online


Find out about building permits, licenses and notices

Permits and licenses are issued for scaffolds, skips, hoardings and highways projections.



Inspections & enforcement 

Once work begins on site we need to carry out site inspection


Competent persons schemes

Individuals and enterprises that are able to self certify their work


Partner authority schemes

Information on how to join our partner authority scheme



Contact us

Development and Public Protection
Building Control
Gateshead Council
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3144