Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Personal search


Anyone can make a personal search of the Local Land Charges Register.

The council received notification from Defra on 22 July, stating, the Government has concluded, that charging a fee for a personal search of the Local Land Charges register is incompatible with the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 and the underlying 2003 EU Directive. The Government is therefore revoking the current £22 fee. Gateshead Council has ceased charging this fee with effect from 3 August 2010.

Viewing Component Data

Anyone can view component data (information relating to questions contained on form CON29). This data can be viewed on the second floor in Development and Enterprise reception at the Civic Centre, Regent Street Gateshead NE8 1HH except enquiries 2(b), 3.3(b), 3.7(e) and 3.11 which are available on the first floor at the Local Land Charges office at the same address.



Appointments to view component data or for a personal search of the Local Land Charges Register must be made by telephoning the Land Charges office on (0191) 4332195. This must be done before 9.30am on the working day before the day of your appointment. At the same time we must also receive a plan taken from the Ordnance Survey Map with the property clearly marked, a list of all component data that you wish to view (questions must be split down as per fees schedule (see more on fees ) Please also advise if pre 1981 planning applications are required. Plans can be emailed (PDF format) to or faxed to 0191 433 2103.

If, however, you would prefer a tailored report, this can be requested and provided either non-electronically (by post) or electronically (by e-mail or NLIS) for the appropriate fee. Fees must be submitted at the same time as you make your request for a tailored report together with a plan taken from the Ordnance Survey Map with the property clearly marked.

A report will be provided within 10 working days of your request being received.

Public Registers

A Personal Searcher or any member of the public is entitled to inspect:

Statutory Planning Register/Stop Notices and Breach of Conditions Notices/Register of Ancient Hedgerows/Local Plan/ Register of Houses in Multiple Occupation/Noise Abatement Zones/Register of Hazardous Substances Consents/Register of Enforcement Notices/Register of Licensable HMO's/Register of Licensable Private Rented Properties/Register of Contaminated Land/Register of Public Sewer Maps/Maps of Public Rights of Way/Register of Streets.

Building control and some planning information are held electronically and are available in the Public Access - Planning Applications portal. Computers are also provided in the Development and Enterprise Reception for persons to access this information. Access to Planning history between 1974 and 1982 is provided by a member of staff.

All public registers can be inspected in the Development and Enterprise reception which is situated in the Civic Centre on the second floor.

All comments should be directed to the Land Charges Team.

If you have any queries, please contact us using the address below.

See also

Contact Us

Local Land Charges
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Tel: 0191 433 2195
Fax: 0191 433 2103
E-mail: Land Charges