Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Discretionary Housing Payments

If your Housing Benefit/Universal Credit (including the housing element) award does not cover the full amount of your rent you could apply for extra financial help. If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you must provide proof of your rent, for example a tenancy agreement or a signed letter from your landlord.

Awards are discretionary, based on the circumstances of each case. Awards are for a limited time.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment to help towards your rent.



Where we will not make awards

Discretionary Housing Payments cannot cover:

  • water, fuel or other service charges included in your rent
  • rent arrears

How payments are made

If you receive Housing Benefit any Discretionary Housing Payment will be paid with Housing Benefit. If you are receiving Universal Credit it will be paid directly to you.

Other support available

Visit the support and advice for more information.

Contact us


Revenues and Benefits 
Corporate Resources 
Civic Centre
Regent Street

0191 433 3703/3661 during office hours