1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Information for landlords


Universal Credit

From October 2017 some Gateshead residents will apply for a new government benefit called Universal Credit.  This will replace: 

  • Income Support
  • Income related Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Housing benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit 

Read the Universal Credit and rented housing: Guide for Landlords for further information.

Universal Credit will be introduced for the following postcodes on the dates below:

Postcode roll out dates
Central Gateshead 11 October 2017 NE8 - 1, 2, 3, and 4
NE9 - 5, 6 and 7
NE10 - 8, 9 and 0
NE11 - 9 and 0NE16 - 3, 4, 5 and 6
DH3 - 1
Blaydon 1 November 2017 NE21 - 4, 5 and 6
NE39 - 1 and 2
NE40 - 3 and 4
NE41- 8
Consett and Stanley 13 December 2017 NE16 - 6
NE17 - 7
Chester-le-Street June 2018 (date to be confirmed) DH2 - 1
DH3 - 2
Hexham 26 September 2018 NE42 - 5 

If a tenant qualifies for Universal Credit, their housing costs are paid as part of their award. The tenant must supply proof of their rent to the Department for Work and Pensions at an interview.

How do I know if my tenant is claiming or has claimed Universal Credit? 

If your tenant claims Universal Credit, and they were claiming housing benefit Jobcentreplus will tell us when to stop any housing benefit.

If your tenant’s housing benefit was being paid directly to you, you will receive a letter from us to inform you that the tenant is no longer receiving Housing Benefit. You will need to speak to your tenant to see what their circumstances are. If you are a Registered Social Landlord, you may be contacted by the Universal Credit service centre to provide proof of your tenant’s rent.

Proof of rent

To be eligible for Housing Costs a private tenant must provide:

  • a rent book,
  • tenancy agreement or
  • a letter from the landlord 

as evidence to support their claim. 

This must state:

  • name of all tenants on the tenancy agreement
  • property address including postcode
  • current rent and frequency, for example: monthly, weekly
  • landlord/agent name and address

How is Universal Credit paid?

Universal Credit is paid monthly in arrears as a lump sum to the tenant. This includes housing costs. 

Alternative payment arrangements are available on a temporary basis to help people who need extra support. These are:

  • Paying the housing element of Universal Credit direct to the landlord. This is usually where there are two months’ rent arrears or more, or if the claimant has difficulty managing their affairs.
  • More frequent than monthly payments. This is usually where the claimant has difficulty managing their affairs.
  • A split payment of an award between partners

What do I do if I want to apply for payment direct to me or to recover rent arrears? 

Read Alternative Payment Arrangements and managing rent arrears for more information.

Contact us