Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page 3 - Site Map 4 - Search 5 - A to Z 6 - Help 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Information Rights 9 - Council Contacts 0 - Access key details

Benefits support and advice


We have a number of teams who provide advice, guidance and support across welfare benefit and housing concerns. They can offer: 

  • Advice on claiming Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax support
  • Check you’re claiming full entitlements and help you claim for any new or increased benefits

Contact us

Phone: 0191 433 4646


Visit us: Benefit Enquiry Office, Civic Centre, Regent Street, Gateshead, NE8 1HH

Debt and housing support advice

We can give help and advice on managing your finances and dealing with housing issues.

  • Help establish new repayment arrangements – including contacting creditors
  • Give guidance on housing options to help you stay in your home

Contact us

Housing Services
Civic Centre
Regent Street

Tel: 0191 433 3717   

Vet bill assistance

The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) offers free veterinary care for cats, dogs and other small pets when owners cannot afford private vet bills.

You must contact the PDSA to register for this service.  They will contact us with your permission, so we can confirm your eligibility. You do not need to come and see us to get a copy of your benefit letter.

Discretionary Housing Payment

Apply for discretionary housing payment to help towards your rent.